This is my salute to Black History Month, I will salute a Fashion Icon each day this month. Their are so many unknown in fashion and it’s my pleasure to shine a light on the great work they do and have done to open doors and pave the way for us still on the path.
DAY ONE – Olivier Rousteing for Balmain
I snagged this bio from http://en.vogue.fr/thevoguelist/olivier-rousteing-1/344
Olivier Rousteing is a French fashion designer born in 1986 in France. He grew up in Bordeaux before moving to Paris to study at ESMOD, the Ecole Supérieure des Arts et Techniques de la Mode. In 2003, he graduated and began his career as a designer at Roberto Cavalli. He was then quickly promoted to the head of the Italian label’s women’s ready-to-wear collection, where he served five years as creative director.
In 2009, Olivier Rousteing was hired by Balmain as a designer for the brand’s women’s ready-to-wear line. He worked closely with, ChristopheDecarnin, the French fashion house’s creative director since 2006, building a style similar to that of his mentor, creating an ultra-feminine rock and roll silhouette.
On April 26, 2011, the 25-year-old, Olivier Rousteing replaced Christophe Decarnin as the creative director for Balmain, gaining full control of the production of both the men’s and women’s read-to-wear lines. He presented his first collection for Balmain during the Spring/Summer 2011 shows in Paris. Vests with striking shoulder pads, studded dresses, gold hues, and bare legs defined Rousteing’s first runway collection. The designer still holds the reigns of the French fashion house today.
I am obsessed with his work because he is new and fresh, his work reminds me of early VERSACE. He’s young gorgeous and creative what’s not to love.
#myfashionobsession, #blackhistorymonth, #fashion2013, #bailman, #olivierrousteing, #moda, @globalgrind
- Show Review: Balmain Pre-Fall 2013 (fashionbombdaily.com)
- Balmain’s Olivier Rousteing Weighs In On Alexander Wang’s Appointment To Balenciaga (fashionista.com)
- Balmain Homme Fall 2013 (denimblog.com)
- Haute Asian-Infused Collections – Cultural Worlds Collide in the Balmain Fall/Winter 2013 Editorial (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Extravagant Editrix Ensembles – The Balmain Pre-Fall 2013 Collection Channels Diana Vreeland (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Get the Look: Balmain Spring 2013 (thepulsemagazine.com)